For a million dollars (or a bit more), Elon Musk will take you to space. Anshar Studios will do it for $19.99. Well, virtually anyway.
The Polish developer’s “PvP VR Experience” game, Detached, is now available on the Oculus store. The early access beta will simulate some of the intensities of being stranded in space. Of course, zero gravity can’t be simulated. And players will most likely be in a warm room with food in their tummies, but if you can’t afford SpaceX, then this is as close to it as you’ll get for now. So stop complaining about Mr. Musk and get yourself to the Oculus store.
Here’s a gameplay video and more info below.
Escape an abandoned space station and find your crew in this VR game that demands tactics and skill to survive. Put your goggles on and feel like a real astronaut on an unearthly space walk. Master the controls of your EVA spacesuit and develop your ability to move in a realistic zero-G environment.
“The beta launch on Steam constantly gives us a lot of feedback and valuable comments on the game mechanics. It’s also the best way to interact with players, who already tried out our game. The Early Access confirms our belief that players are very excited about our game and are eagerly waiting for the full Detached release, which by the way, is just around the corner. That’s why we’re looking forward to the additional feedback we’re sure gamers will deliver, after today’s release on the Oculus store.” – said Łukasz Hacura, Game Director of Anshar Studios.
The single-player mode makes full use of the VR HMD, giving you the chance to interact with the tranquil expanse of space. Multiplayer however puts you against your friends in an entirely new take on “capture the flag” mode. All gamers (and (p)reviewers!)) should also be aware that Detached is an extreme VR experience that simulates sudden and dramatic acceleration, freefalling, twisting and rolling. Even with the 90 FPS frame rate, it is not for VR-sensitive players.
DETACHED’S CORE FEATURES
- The Game for VR HMD Users – Experience freedom of movement, rotation and acceleration in a sandbox environment built for VR headsets.
- Dynamic Tutorial – Get to grips with your spacesuit’s controls in a zero-G environment before venturing into outer space.
- Skills to Build Strategy – Master Shield, Boost and EMP Rockets skills in both single-player and multiplayer modes.
- A Completely Atmospheric Experience – Discover the wide blue yonder with an accompanying fully orchestrated score composed by Mikołaj Stroiński (The Witcher 3, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter).
- Although Detached has been specifically designed for VR gaming, a desktop patch will also be released in 2017.
About Anshar Studios
Anshar Studios was founded by City Interactive Games veterans, a company known for titles like Sniper 1 & 2 or Lords of the Fallen. Today team consists of 20 video game development specialists who have up to 10 years of experience in every major video game development field: design, art, programming and production coordination. Together they have worked on 23 commercial titles released on 7 different platforms and utilized 5 different technologies. http://ansharstudios.com/