Another year, another Assassin’s Creed title. This year, it’s “Assassin’s Creed Syndicate” and the setting is Victorian London. Yes, the London of Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes, and Tiny Tim. The center of the greatest empire in the history of the planet.
The new gameplay features video is four and a half minutes of amazing time travel. As with all games in the series, we get an excellent history lesson as well as addictive gameplay. That’s all you need to know about any new Assassin’s title. Where and when does it take place?
Everything else is pretty much the same. Sneak around, complete missions, kill Templars.
Why even have a features video?
Well, here’s what’s “new” about the Syndicate:
1) Carriages. Yes, carriage with horse. You can go GTA with it, knocking people to the ground. You can also kill the horse, which is just wrong. Killing people is ok, but killing innocent animals just ain’t right.
2) You can throw dead bodies into wagons full of hay. Wait a minute, you could do that in other games? Okay, how about this? You can pull the bodies back out! Amazing stuff.
3) Cinematic killing. This one’s kind of cool, actually. You get several bad guys near the point of death, and when you execute them, it’ll do a well-choreographed cinematic finish.
4) When you get killed, it’s more gory.
5) There are 19th century posters in 19th century London.
Some of this stuff might now wow you, but again, best part of each new Assassin’s Creed is the history lesson – accurate or not, it’s like going back in time.
Game’s out in October on PS4 and Xbox One.